As you may have noticed, newest version of Sublight now supports Google authentication which enables:
- new users can sign up directly with their Google account
- existing users can link their Sublight account with Google in 'settings / user profile'
Benefits of Google authentication
- you don't have to remember another password, instead just use your Google password
- if you have Sublight username/password you can use Google authentication to log in in case you forget your Sublight credentials
- Q: If I use Google authentication does Sublight know my Google username/password?
A: No! Sublight uses OAuth to Access Google APIs.
When you sign in with your Google credentials Google returns us special random token which can be used to authenticate you.
- Q: Which information do you have from my Google account?
A: When you successfully authenticate with Google credentials we receive Google+ user ID (usually 21 digit number). We can not use
this ID to log in to your Google account or change any of your Google settings. We don't see your Google email address and we don't see your name.
However, with this ID it is possible to access your public Google+ profile (https://plus.google.com/u/0/GOOGLE_PLUS_USER_ID).
- Q: If someone hacks Sublight server can my Google account be compromised?
A: No! (see previous two questions for details)
- Q: More questions?
A: Please use our contact form and we will answer any of your questions regarding Google authentication.